Monday, July 16, 2007

Date with Destiny

What do you think about fortune telling? I don't do that, so just before you push exodus before down my throat I was just wondering.

Why, in a society that has so warmly embraced technological development, do so many people place their faith in a craft that is so difficult to explain scientifically? One reason is that may be it works, or at least people believe it might work.

People say fortune tellers emphasize that their work is based on usually astrology, rather than any special ability on their part to see into the future. It builds upon details of your birth, they can produce a map of your life, identify the point you are now, and see why you are doing what you are doing. Fortune-telling's purported accuracy is perhaps one of the reasons it has been so ingrained in Chinese culture.

My mom set up one for me yesterday. The scary part is the fortune teller has been right about many things. She had no previous knowledge of me, but she pretty much got it right. She even knew my current situation, but I'm sorry I don't want to go into too much personal detail here. She used her special technique to measure if my boyfriend and I fit each other, she even predicted me giving birth.

Fortune tellers make generalizations and our minds take it from there. Any sort of fortune telling should be taken as indications of your future life, definitely they should never be considered as perfect predictions. Sure they are real but do they really work, and God doesn't want us involved.

Like anything it can be good or bad. Fortune tellers are neither good nor bad in the same way a knife or a car isn't evil by itself and can be used to help people or hurt them. I believe if I continue just as I am, this might happen. More often than not they tell you more about yourself than they do about your future, or how your current state of mind will affect your future. I really hope this wouldn't change anything. I try to have a good life, enjoy everyday, share with my beloved as much as I can, fill myself with challenges and interesting things everyday.

Destiny is always balanced by determinism. Nothing in life is to be fear only to be understood. The bad thing is that people lack of the courage to be responsible for their lives and make their own decisions, fortune-telling usually becomes an excuse.

My conclusion is... If you don't believe it, then it can surprise you. If you do believe it whole-heartedly, you certainly will be disappointed.

No comments: